Saturday, July 16, 2005

Carnival of the Recipes #49 submission: Deviled Eggs

Just so I don't forget until the Saturday after the carnival goes up this time:
Welcome, Carnival of the Recipes readers!

OK; so these eggs NEVER survive my cooking them, if people don't actively grab them AS they are created. From my experience, the best way to keep these is to NOT MAKE THEM. See, the second they're created, my thoughts are: "I'll just have one. You know, to make sure they worked out alright. Just one. *chomp* Oooh, that was good. Just one more." and so on. It quickly becomes "Crap! I ate all that I've put together. I'd better not eat the one I just completed now so that someone else can try some *chomp* Crap!!"
Needless to say, I really really really like


Deviled Eggs

I'm told that these don't keep too well- apparantly the top of the filling kinda crustifies in open air. And when you seal them up, the moisture just condenses. So I'll recommend that you make them when you want them, and try not to leave too much time between creation and devouring. Don't worry about leftovers ;)
Also note: I don't think I've EVER actually made this recipe as written. I generally double, triple, quadruple, etc. the recipe. You have to, if you want anyone else to have any.

6 Hard Cooked Eggs (as usual, see my notes for random thoughts on eggs)
1/2 teaspoon dry or 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (more notes)
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (Real stuff, "salad dressing", or even sour cream. But the real stuff is best.)
1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce, if desired (Hey, I like a little worchestershire. If you don't like anchovy sauce, then don't use it. But try it at least once.)
Paprika (if desired. Garnish, essentially, but can add another tiny little bite from your food.)

1. Shell the eggs and cut them in half lengthwise; carefully remove the yolks (without breaking the resulting egg-white cups) and place in bowl. (As pretty much everyone says, use a bowl with rounded sides on the bottom; corners aren't good for cooking.)
2. Mash the yolks up with a fork (I get mine as paste-like as possible) and add everything but the paprika, mix until well blended and a bit on the fluffy side.
3. Fill the Egg White "cups" with the filling, trying desperately not to shove it into your mouth immediately. (Notes again)
4. If they've survived this long, give 'em a quick sprinkle of paprika and serve. Or shovel down your throat. Whatever.

Notes: Hard cooked eggs: that means at LEAST 15 minutes of simmering. These buggers need to be solid with NO runnyness. Besides, why would anyone want to suck down a slimy runny egg? I mean, dang.
Also on eggs- the fresher they are, the easier to peel. This recipe is a SNAP if you have eggs that are practically straight from the hen. Fresh from the store with the latest "sell by" date works great, too. (Besides, unless you have your own henhouse, it's pretty much impossible to get 'em fresh from the hen, and then they're all gooky and average on the smallish side. [I had a hen for a while.])

On mustard: I find that dry mustard will give you more of a kick. If you like your food biting you back (which I do), use dry. Prepared mustard, for those not in the know, is the stuff you buy in a bottle and put on hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, hell, pretty much anything.)

Filling the "cups": You will have enough filling that these should be "heaping" eggfulls of filling, not flat across the top or "slightly rounded."

So why are they called "Deviled" eggs? My Theory: these buggers MUST have been invented by satan himself. They ARE temptation.
Filed in:

1 Comments:

Blogger Y.H.N. said...

sub in apple cider vinegar. It adds a little bit of something that I really like.

Thanks for the tip about dry mustard.

7/23/2005 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home